Project Mayhem evolves out of, and eventually replaces Fight Club (at least the original chapter), starting out as a "homework assignment" given out to members by Tyler Durden. As Fight Club attains a nationwide presence, Tyler uses it to spread his anti-consumerist ideas, devising increasingly elaborate pranks on corporate America. He eventually gathers the most devoted Fight Club members and forms Project Mayhem: a organization that trains itself as an army to bring down modern civilization.
Project Mayhem Trainees (which Tyler refers to as space monkeys) must first pass a test where they are left standing on the front porch of the Paper Street House, being constantly belittled and told to leave. If they hold for 3 days without food or shelter, they are then allowed to stay at the house and train as a member of Project Mayhem. Requirements:
- Two black shirts.
- Two pairs of black pants.
- One pair of black boots.
- Two pairs of black socks.
- One black jacket.
- $300 personal burial money.
Structure and CommitteesEdit
Project Mayhem is organized in a structure of different committees:
- Arson Committee - meets on Mondays
- Assault Committee - meets on Tuesdays
- Mischief Committee - meets on Wednesdays
- Misinformation Committee - meets on Thursdays
- Robert Paulson (killed by police officer)
- 1st rule: You don't ask questions about Project Mayhem.
- 2nd rule: You don't ask questions about Project Mayhem.
- 3rd rule: No excuses.
- 4th rule: No lies.
- 5th rule: You have to trust Mr. Durden.
- Unknown rule number: If anyone for any reason attempts to interfere with Project Mayhem, even if it's Tyler Durden himself, the punishment was for them to be castrated by having their testicles sliced off by force.