Marla was named after a school bully who Chuck Palahniuk knew in grade school.
In the movie, she was played by Actress Helena Bonham Carter
She met The Narrator at a testicular cancer victims support group, which she went to despite obviously having never had that affliction. She also went to to other support groups, but for reasons other than The Narrator's. She went to the groups because they were "cheaper than a movie and there's free coffee." This caused great distress to The Narrator, who had her agree to not go to the support groups in the same days as him.
She didn't hold the agreement, though: when The Narrator left the support groups for Fight Club, she took notice of his absence.
- "Candy-stripe a cancer ward. It's not my problem."
- "I want to have your abortion." (Book version) "My God. I haven't been fucked like that since grade school." (Film version).
- "I got this dress at a thrift store for one dollar. It's a bridesmaid's dress. Someone loved it intensely for one day, and then tossed it. Like a Christmas tree. So special. Then, bam, it's on the side of the road. Tinsel still clinging to it. Like a sex crime victim. Underwear inside out. Bound with electrical tape."
- "Tyler?.....you're the worst thing that's ever happened to me"
- "I'm not paying this back! I consider it asshole tax"
- "Oh, here comes an avalanche of bullshit"
- "You fuck me, then you snub me. You love me, you hate me. You show me a sensitive side, then you turn into a total asshole. Is that an accurate description of our relationship Tyler?"